Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Greek Potatoes

Two of my best high school friends are Greek.  I spent my teens and early 20s savoring their mother's cooking until they moved back to Crete.  I've visited them twice and have enjoyed these in kitchens and restaurants across the island.  This is the best recipe I've found that brings that Mediterranean taste home.

You can find this recipe here.


This is all about the moist absorption of flavor.  The potatoes are almost sure to soak up whatever you've got.  


You can keep them the oven longer to get them as brown or as crispy as you want them.  I enjoy them well done; however, this is the way that I was used to growing up and visiting Crete, with just slight browning on all of the edges.

It's super-easy to make but difficult to clean.  All of that liquid will reduce, browning the sides and bottom.  The caramelized garlic bits will stick like glue.  I saved myself much clean-up time and frustration by using a disposable but recyclable aluminum pan.  It was worth the .99 cents.


9 comments:

  1. The recipe looks delicious...I like the fact that it uses olive oil, instead of butter. I think I'd try some vegetable broth as a substitute for the water. Will definitely give this a try, as there's nothing as yummy as crispy golden potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy. I agree, use some kind of broth instead of bullion.

      Delete
  2. We had a Greek restaurant here in town which closed ten or more years ago which made the most heavenly mouth-watering Greek potatoes. Your recipe may just be the solution to my long sense of privation. I will definitely try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it tastes like those I've had, hope you do, too.

      Delete
    2. Don't skimp on the lemons!!! They give the dish that slight tang.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this looks really nice and flavorsome as all the tastes gets sucked up into the potatoes. And a brilliant idea to use a foil tin instead otherwise you'll be washing up for days trying to get those stuck bits out. I will certainly try this because it's so easy to do, and like Helena, you can tweak it to your taste. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this recipe has room for personalization. They are really amazing. And yes, it has a distinctive flavor and texture with them absorbing so much liquid, but getting browned edges that are actually a bit chewy rather than crispy.

      Delete
  4. Looks yummy! I am enjoying my imaginary delicious dinner parties at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome here ANYTIME, my friend! We miss you!

      Delete