Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ina Garten's Avocado and Grapefruit Salad

I received Barefoot in Paris: Easy French Food You Can Make at Home for Christmas from my mother-in-law.  I had admired her vast cookbook collection including Garten's complete set.  This is my second Barefoot Contessa book she has given me.

I had never made French food.  I thought it was too complex for this fledgling kitchen cook.  To my delight I was surprised with how easy some of these recipes are.

The avocado salad was my first, and delicious attempt.  I love the ingredients separately, but,,,, together?  I never imagined what avocado and grapefruit would taste like - especially with Dijon!  I guessed that the avocado would taste good with a Dijon vinaigrette, but was a bit skeptical about Dijon on grapefruit.

To my surprise, it was delightful!  The tart and slightly sweet grapefruit tasted wonderful with the extra kick of the Dijon, and the avocado mellowed those sharp tastes with its creaminess.

Plus, it looks extremely elegant and it is ridiculously easy.  This salad will be quite a hit at your next brunch or dinner party.  Find some traditional French music on internet radio, or play the Amelie Soundtrackto really get you into the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment